Translate

Friday, August 3, 2012

Rationality


       Today, I was having a debate with a few friends. Basically, this debate was concerning which ethnic group is the most tardy out of all. The three groups we were discussing were, Indians, Africans, and Mexicans. Obviously, based on personal experience, we all had different hypothesis and ideas. I wasn't born in the United States. I immigrated here when I was less than a year ago. I went to preschool and kindergarten in the nation I was born. My friend who happens to be a Filipeno studied in Asia somewhere in an international school and my other friend who's actually an Indian studied in an African international school. 
        So, in this conversation, my Filipeno friend(ima call him Filipeno now) says that because of the diversity he's experienced at his international school, he can obviously judge other students. Basically, he was saying that he was going to judge or make assumptions about different ethnic groups based off the 40 or so different students he knew. I thought this notion was quite IRRATIONAL. 
        In my opinion, it is nearly impossible to judge groups of people because they're made of individuals and each individual is different. Not only that, they all come from different backgrounds, places, values, and teachings. In addition, many times, people change their behaviours according to their surroundings and situations. While a person may be very lazy in reality, when it comes to work, he may be very hard working. There are many more examples like these. The point is, its almost that the way Filipeno was thinking was not rational. The huge number of people in each ethnic group are not properly represented by a mere number. Rationality doesn't work that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment