Translate

Thursday, August 23, 2012

And then, Sentimentality Hit.

 
 
         Yesterday, we received a letter from an aunt of mine. It was a letter inquiring about my family and as a sister, my aunt was inquiring about my father. In the letter, they were inquiring about us and me. While my mom was reading that letter to me, my aunt asked what I had decided to study during college.  It seems that all my cousins have gotten far and accomplished something big. Two of them are engineers. One is a district magistrate and well, you know. The trend follows. It made me think of my family and I basically had this moment of sentimentality hit me. I realized I should do something that would make my family proud so that my relatives could have something good to talk about when they talk about me.
          Even if my career here is well regarded, many times Indians don't care about that kind of stuff. There are certain careers that women should and should not go into. But what makes me frustrated is why should I even care about what they talk off? My friends love me and the society here would respect regardless my family does or not.
          But its culture and that background that you come from that sometimes effects the way you think about. Sometimes it doesn't matter what other think but when you come from a certain culture, it starts to matter. And so sentimentality hit me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment